Gout comes in a semi random way. This is since the lump may pop up and do a lot of undesirable things, which distinguish the condition from the others. The unbearable pain. The hampering swollen red joints. The worse thing is that there is no exception to all the joints. Yes, you read it right, the gout attacks in every part of the body that has joints, even the fingers.
And that is the topic of this article. As a matter of fact, this article wishes to explain gout in the fingers. If you have lots of questions about the topic, well, read on, because the answer might just be here to find.
What is Gout?
Table of Contents
Gout is a condition that is more than capable of giving you a scream-worthy pain. It is due to the crystallization of the uric acid in the joints. Usually, the uric acid will not be able to crystallize. However, given the right condition, it’ll crystallize and will give you the pain that you never asked for.
Speaking of the right conditions, here are two factors that can make it crystallize.
- Cold Temperature – this is a factor that may contribute to the crystallization of the uric acid. The saturation point is reduced as the temperature drops. Therefore, the colder the environment the easier for uric acid to crystallize.
- Adequate volume – for a solute to be crystallized, its volume must be too much to be dissolved by the solvent. As the solute becomes saturated, it solidifies
As the uric acid crystallizes, the neutrophils notice them, classifying them as foreign bodies hence attacking them. As the neutrophils fail, they may die and in the process, they will release an arachidonic acid hence kindling both the pain and inflammation. this is now what they call the gout attack or the gout flare-ups. Now that you got to know the basics of a gout attack, we can now discuss gout in fingers.
Gout In Fingers – Is it possible?
If you’re suffering from gout in the fingers, the chances are, you are already suffering from gout or tophaceous deposits in some other parts of the body. Commonly, the big toe suffers first. A bit weird, right? Actually, as of this writing there are no official studies yet that explains this particular phenomenon. Nevertheless, there maybe some possible explanations for this.
The blood flows gentler in the toes as the pulse must combat the gravity. Therefore, the uric acid flowing there is much more exposed to the cold temperature of the lower extremities. This is where the two face factor comes in.
Once you get gout or tophus in whatever part of the body, it is most probably that most of the other parts of the body have the factor, sufficient volume. Therefore, gout in whatever part of the body is actually a sign of more and more gout to come. If you don’t have gout in the toes but gout attacks in some other parts of the body, presuming the toe to be added to the list.
The fingers are comparatively warmer than that of the toes. Therefore, it has much lesser chance of developing the uric acid crystals. Furthermore, gout in the fingers is much rarer than that of the toes, although they may last long as it happens most probable because of the slow blood flow.
On the other hand. . .
Typically, gout in the fingers may attack both of them. So you should be prepared and watch out for various pain spikes and prickly sensations in the fingers. If this thing happens, you may soak your hands in a warm water. Always remember that the cold temperature improves the chances of gout!
Now that you already have enough information about gout in the fingers, there are plenty of things you can do. Read on to the following context:
- You must also know what is bad for gout, be it food or activities.
- Know what to do for the condition. Know how to relieve the gout pain, and how you will lower the uric acid.
- Know the foods that you must avoid with gout. Gout diet includes some weird stuff just like avoiding the very nutritious fruits and vegetables, not only because they upsurge the uric acid but because they may trigger gout complications just like the uric acid kidney stones.
- If you’re unto medications, know the right medicines to take for gout.
- Follow a good gout diet plan to be able to reduce the uric acid.